INTERNSHIP AT OHCHR
OFFICE OF THE UN HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS, REGIONAL OFFICE FOR SOUTHERN AFRICA (OHCHR ROSA) is looking for a motivated intern.
Terms of Reference: OHCHR internship (unpaid)
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Representative, the intern will undertake the following tasks:
- He/she assists the team in media monitoring and reporting on the human rights situation in the sub-region, including daily media monitoring;
- He/she assists the team in strengthening the communication and outreach of the regional office, in close collaboration with the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Pretoria;
- He/she assists in the management and the dissemination of OHCHR documents in the sub-region;
- He/she assists the team in planning, implementing and evaluating training and human rights promotion activities in cooperation with the concerned governments, national institutions, regional organizations, NGOs, and UN agencies;
- He/she assists the team in developing joint human rights initiatives with Member States, regional organisations, donors, UN programmes and agencies and NGOs.
- He/she performs other duties as required.
Furthermore, interns are encouraged to:
- Increase their understanding of current human rights issues at the international, regional and sub-regional level;
- Share their academic knowledge in the area of human rights with staff from ROSA and other UN Agencies in South Africa;
- Benefit from briefings and capacity-building activities organized by the regional office and other UN Agencies in South Africa in order to gain insight into the work of the United Nations and OHCHR, in particular in Southern Africa.
Internship timing and duration:
OHCHR ROSA will offer 3-month unpaid internships throughout 2017, starting in February 2017. OHCHR ROSA is limited to one intern at any given time.
The candidates must:
– be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); OR
– be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); OR
– have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
How to apply:
Please send the duly filled out application form in a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16 January 2017.
APPLICATION FORM: 2017-internship-application-form