Internship with UNHCR South Africa Unit, Programme Unit
A UNHCR intern should have completed or is enrolled in a post-graduate degree programme in Business Administration, Social Science, International Law or related field at a university level at the time of application and during the internship.
Internship position with UNHCR will be from the period of 01 June – 31 August 2017 and on a full-time basis.
UNHCR has no provision for remuneration of Interns. All costs related with the Internship must therefore be borne by the Intern or his/her sponsoring institutions or governments, including costs relating to travel, living and accommodation. The Interns will be required to sign a code of conduct as well as an internship agreement with UNHCR stipulating the terms of contract.
The intern will receive guidance from programme staff. The UNHCR Programme Manual, programme objectives, Operations Plans, UNHCR Global Policies, UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations, Project Partnership Agreements and Multi-Functional Team Monitoring Terms of Reference will guide the work of the Programme Intern
2. Responsibilities (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Prepare material/documents for meetings and draft notes/minutes of meetings.
- Draft routine correspondence.
- Prepare documents for payments and check that procurement guidelines were followed. Request additional information/clarification from suppliers/colleagues, if necessary.
- Accompany programme staff during partner monitoring visits, whenever required.
- Draft Performance Monitoring Reports after monitoring visits.
- Compile statistics data received from partners.
- Participate in activities such as the Age, Gender & Diversity (AGD) exercise.
- Assist in the development of funding submissions/reporting.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Applicants must, at the time of application have one of the following:
- Fluency in English, i.e. oral and written proficiency required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations language will be an advantage.
This intern will be supervised and coached by the Snr. Programme Associate with overall management by the Programme Officer.
5. Subsequent Employment
The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNHCR but to complement studies, skills and experience. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
In view of UNHCR rules and regulations, no access to FOCUS or MSRP data will be provided.
Please note that excellent writing and drafting skills in English is a requirement.
Please forward your curriculum vitae, confirmation that you have completed or are enrolled in a post-graduate degree programme, explanation of your interest in the work of UNHCR – to Peter Matshoge at email@example.com.
Please include “UNHCR South Africa Unit, Programme Unit” in the subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date: 22 May 2017