The roster of Communication Interns at UNIC Pretoria is now full and no new applications will be accepted at this point.
Applications for Communication Internships will resume from July 2015 onwards so please check this website from that period onwards.
However, those interested in applying for UNIC Pretoria internships in the fields of Information Technology, Library or Administration may continue to apply.
Welcome to the UNIC Pretoria Internship Programme
The United Nations Information Centre in Pretoria provides opportunities for university-level students to undertake internships. Students can utilize and enhance their educational experience through practical work assignments, while supporting the work of UN Information Centre. An internship with UNIC provides exposure to the daily activities undertaken by the office, as well as an opportunity to gain first-hand experience on a diverse range of topics and issues comprising the work of the United Nations.
Interns get involved, inter alia, in assisting with media monitoring, drafting press reviews, reports and media analyses, preparing speeches on particular UN-related topics, researching background information in response to queries and providing substantive assistance in the dissemination of information and other logistical support to the centre, including assisting the UNIC librarian. Much of the work is ‘reactive’ and can include a very diverse range of responsibilities outside the specific terms of reference.
Read more about:
Position Title: protection internship NEW
location :field office,cape town south Africa
Type of Vacancy: Internal/External
Closing Date: 20/03/2018
- Organizational context
The purpose of this internship is to assist the UNHCR Field Office in Cape Town to provide assistance to vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers; making the Field Office more accessible to our Persons of Concern (PoC’s).
- Responsibilities (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
The Intern, under the supervision of a UNHCR Protection Associate, will be exposed to various protection-related activities of the Field Office. The internship will include the following activities:
- Provide advice and assistance on protection issues to POC’s through intake and protection interviews.
- Assist with drafting meeting minutes and writing reports as required.
- Provide support to the coordination of protection and multi-stakeholder events and meetings.
- Assist with outreach events such as community programmes and meetings.
- Any other duties as required.
- Qualification and Experience
- Applicants should at least be currently engaged in studies towards his/her first university degree, preferably in International Studies, Refugee Law, Social Sciences or similar field, or is enrolled in a post-graduate degree programme in a related field at the time of application and during the internship.
- Fluency in English, i.e. oral and written proficiency required.
- Please note that excellent writing and drafting skills in English is a requirement. Knowledge of another United Nations language will be an advantage.
- Terms of the Internship
- The internship position with UNHCR will be for a period of two – six months, on a full time basis.
- UNHCR has no provision for remuneration of Interns. All costs related with the Internship must therefore be borne by the Intern or his/her sponsoring institutions or governments, including costs relating to travel, living and accommodation. The Interns will be required to sign a code of conduct as well as an internship agreement with UNHCR stipulating the terms of contract.
- There should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.